Forgiveness doesn’t excuse
Forgiveness keeps their behavior
from destroying your heart!
10 Things you Need to Know about Forgiveness
other than It Can Change Your Life!
Hello my friend,
Today I want to talk about something very important and that is forgiveness!
We all have been hurt in some way, many times! This comes in all shapes and sizes but it doesn’t matter how small or how big it was, it still hurts. For many the natural response is the get that person back in some way.
This is a trap that keeps you in bondage. It is toxic and it poisons all areas of your life. When you do not forgive you are unable to heal. When you are in pain and do not find healing it can consume you and it keeps you from putting your past in the rear view mirror so that you can have the life God intended you to have.
So, here are 10 things you need to know that will help you forgive even when you don’t want to.
1. Forgiveness is a choice not a feeling. If you wait until you “Feel” like forgiving someone it will never happen. You can choose to stay stuck and hold on to anger, bitterness, resentment or you can choose to move forward by letting go
2. Forgiveness does not mean they deserve it. It is not about what they deserve. None of us deserves to be forgiven yet God forgives us.
3. Forgiveness is not saying what they did is okay. When you choose to forgive, you acknowledge the hurt and still choose to forgive which is why it is so powerful.
4. It only takes you to forgive. It takes two to reconcile but one to choose the route of forgiveness.
5 Forgiveness is for you. When you forgive it is a choice you make and that person does not have to even know it. You forgive not only because God commands us but also so that you can heal and let go and move forward.
6. Forgiveness is good for our health. This goes back to unforgiveness being toxic, this includes our physical body. Being a good forgiver helps your physical health by lowering blood pressure and stress and making you a reduced risk for substance abuse and depression.
7. Forgiveness can heal relationships. You can’t force someone to reconcile because you don’t have control over his/her actions but you can open the door to the possibility by beginning with forgiveness.
8. Forgiveness is a continual process. Practicing forgiveness is not a one-time thing, it is on-going. The bible says: Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matthew 18:21-22
9. Forgiveness goes against our natural instincts to get revenge or even the score. The bible says: Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:19-21
10. Forgiveness means leaving our case in the hands of God. The bible says: “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. 1 Peter 2:22-2
It is not easy to forgive but it is worth the work. I hope this encourages you to forgive those offenses against you so that you can have a life of freedom.
I pray that God will show you areas of unforgivness so you can choose to forgive and have a life of freedom.
Peace and Blessings,